Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Death of my Grandfather

I have not blogged about my grandfather's death since the small mentions made during the recounting of my trip to China, but I was sent something today that has prompted me.

This blog was written by my aunt's friend and since I was not able to attend the funeral since I was in China, it was the first real accounting of what I missed. I should have known better than to read it at work, but I did and could not stop the tears. It is a good thing that I have a door that closes, because I don't want to explain my tears to anyone right now.

I am glad that he is free of his body, I am glad that he is resting with my grandmother, but I miss his laugh, the cakes we was so proud of making (from the boxed mix), and all the wacky odd things he would pick up at yard sales.

This has been a rough year for me, so much loss, but so much good as well. I have to be thankful for all the good things that have come to be this year, but I also have to allow myself the time to grieve everything that has been taken from me as well.

We tend to scold ourselves for feeling sorry about our situation, knowing that others have it so much worse, but our sadness is still valid and still deserves to be honored.

Me-Me and Pa-Pa I love you and I miss you and I hope that you enjoying whatever it is that happens after you leave this world!

3 comments:

  1. I've read all of your posts on China.... what an amazing experience - but I'm so sorry for you loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you have some lovely memories to dwell on!

    ReplyDelete