Monday, June 6, 2011

April 6, 1923 - June 1, 2011

I am without any Grandparents. Richard Braithwaite "Dick" Knisely passed away, quietly with his family around him a little after 3am on Wednesday June 1. He was 88 years old. He was the head of his family. He was the pillar of strength for us all. I loved him deeply.

When my first Grandmother died I hurt so much. I couldn't imagine going through that pain three more times. I have dealt with the pain of loss as each of them passed on to whatever lays beyond this world and I kept thinking that it would get easier; that I would get used to losing people I love. It doesn't get easier.

KNISELY Richard "Dick" Braithwaite Richard "Dick" Braithwaite Knisely, 88, died June 1st, 2011 in Roanoke, Virginia. He was born to the late Richard C. and Florence Knisely, April 6, 1923, in Toledo, Ohio. After graduating from Scott High School in 1942 he worked as a merchant marine on the Great Lakes. Believing his duty lie in defending his country he soon enlisted in the United States Army Air Corps. For three years he bravely served in World War II as a B-24 ball turret gunner, completing fifty-two missions. Upon returning to Toledo he married his cherished bride, Suzanne Compton. He later earned a Bachelor of Arts, and a Master's degree in Education from the University of Toledo. He had a long and distinguished career with the Toledo Public School System as a teacher and head football coach at his alma mater Scott High, then at Bowsher High School where he was a teacher and head basketball coach. He finished his career as the Director of Transportation for the Toledo Public Schools. Richard was a husband, brother, and father to four children. In 1978 he retired to Pomona Park, Florida with his wife of sixty-four years. He and his wife enjoyed nearly three decades at their lake house, creating treasured memories for their children and grandchildren. Surviving to embrace his memory are three of his four children, daughters, Linda (Daryl) Henry, Kyle Knisely, and son, David (Sharron) Knisely; his grandchildren, Michelle Terrell, Kurt Henry, Ryan (Chris) Michalski, Ashleigh (Cory) Lutz, Kelsey Shumate, Emily (Corey Thayer) and Abbey Knisely, and five great grandchildren, Nicole Clark, Cyrus Terrell, Will Fisher, Mary Michalski, and Molly Lutz. He is preceded in death by his parents; his son, Ricky Knisely; his brother, Wade Knisely; his wife, Suzanne Knisely, and his grandson, Matthew Hammer Knisely. Richard will be remembered by those who loved him as an award winning fisherman with a jovial spirit and witty humor who was always eager to entertain.
Published in Toledo Blade on June 5, 2011
 
 
The following is a poem that I have always found myself thinking of when I lose someone important to me. I know that I will adjust, I will find a place in my soul for this new permanent ache, but I will never not feel his loss or the loss of those who left me before him.
 
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
By: W.H. Auden
Rest in Peace Gramps knowing that you were loved and you leave behind an amazing family who all strive to make you proud. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment