Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ice Cream, You Scream

Well, I attempted to make Mango Mint Sorbet with my new ice cream attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer. I have been wanting this attachment for a long time and finally got it from my dad for my birthday.

I thought it would be fun to make with Will, who was having a sleep over. So, I made up the mix the evening before, because it has to chill for like 10 hours before putting it into the mixer. Will sat on the counter and helped me put all the attachments together and turn on the machine. I poured in the mix and we watched it start to thicken. Now, let me explain something about this mix. It was oddly separated. The recipe was followed to the letter, but you know how you are supposed to temper eggs into a hot liquid or they will scramble? Well, this is what the ice cream mix looked like, like tiny little pieces of cooked egg, only there are no eggs in this batter. Milk, sugar, corn syrup heated together until all dissolved. Pureed mango with a bit of lemon juice and chopped fresh mint (more on the mint later). Mix together and chill.

We let it mix/freeze for about 3 times longer than the recipe said, and it was still pretty slushy. Will said that he liked it, but when I gave him a little bowl of it, he left a lot behind! Now about that mint - it was all stuck to the mixing blade, I guess that I did not chop it finely enough or something, cause it was really odd. I thought and my husband agreed that the taste did not come out all that well either. It was a bit gritty (I guess from the "cooked egg" thingies) and had a strange aftertaste. Maybe too much lemon? Maybe? I don't know?

I put it into the freezer to see if it just needed to get really hard or something. I will test it out tonight, but I have a feeling that it will be getting a nice up close look at the garbage disposal!

I am going to try freaking vanilla next - how hard can this really be??

No comments:

Post a Comment