Friday, August 13, 2010

Sleeping

The last few nights have been tough. Smug-Baby has been waking and wanting to play at about 2am the last couple of nights. She normally wakes a bit to nurse about that time, but it's like 45 seconds and she is back to sleep, but these last few nights, she just wants to play with her toes and giggle and pinch my nose. It has taken me 30 minutes to an hour to get her back to sleep and by then it is almost time for me to get up for work. I have been frustrated and tired to say the least.

Here is the thing, both nights she has been awake at the same time Smug-Hub has been making noise. The first night it was when he came to bed and the second night he was snoring. Both nights, I yelled at him and said mean things about him being inconsiderate of my need to get up at 4:30 in the morning and how this was all his fault. Then when I checked e-mail yesterday morning, I found three e-mails from parenting sites on how sleeping habits can change at this age and how important routine is for maintaining good sleep.

Well, this made me feel like dog poo for blaming Smug-Hub for all my woes and I sent him an apology e-mail. I felt that I was blaming him for something that may or may not have had anything to do with Smug-Baby waking up and that yelling at a sleeping man and saying hurtful things in the middle of the night is really unproductive and doesn't help the situation one bit.

Last night, she again woke at 2:30am, I moved around to switch sides and she nursed for about 15 minutes and then fell back asleep. As I lay there falling back asleep myself I got to thinking, she is almost 6 months old and I have read that at about 6 months babies have a growth spurt. Maybe she is waking because she is hungry and only staying awake because of the increased noise of daddy's snores.

Regardless, I slept better last night and don't feel that sleep deprived headache, so that's good. I haven't dealt with much sleeplessness due to co-sleeping with Smug-Baby and I am beyond grateful for that, so I really shouldn't complain about a few nights of issues.

Smug-Hub and I have discussed the importance of his coming to bed at a certain time and the importance of him wearing his CPAP mask to help Smug-Baby stay asleep, so I think that we may have worked through this little issue for now. Let's just hope that I don't start yelling at him next time I am awoken in the middle of the night to feeling those soft little fingers trying to explore my nose!!

No comments:

Post a Comment