Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Independence Day and Beyond

Monday Smug-Hub and I put Smug-Baby in the back-pack and hiked up to the local city star on top of a mountain near our house. I carried Smug-Baby up and he carried her down. We did it this way mostly because I always roll my ankles and I was very nervous that I would fall on the way down with her on my back. I also secretly love the sense of accomplishment that I get from doing something hard and especially that I did something he didn't. Isn't that so wrong? It's like feeling stronger, better, tougher than he is, even though he totally would carry her up if I asked him to. Oh well, it is what it is I guess.

The rest of the 4th was spent relaxing and recovering from the hike! We came home and all got showered up and made some lunch and then everyone fell asleep for a while :)

In the late afternoon, Smug-Sister had everyone over to her place for a big family cookout - it rained the whole time and we ended up making S'more's in the microwave!! It was actually a really good time except for Smug-Niece who kept banging her little head into stuff. She did! She cracked her little noggin like 4 times and has a purple bump on her forehead poor girl!

We went to a friend's place that is close to where the city sets off the fireworks but Smug-Baby was too burned out to stay for the whole thing so we took her home and got her to bed. All in all it was a really nice Independence Day!

Then, Smug-Baby tossed and turned all night and rolled around the bed (because, of course, Smug-Hub stayed up until 3:30) so I was up from about 12:45 on and that made Tuesday really hard. I need a decent amount of sleep in order to function during the day. I need to be able to focus at work. I need to have a good supply of patience when taking care of the girls. I need energy to get stuff done at my house.

As it was, I was able to rest a bit while the girls napped in the car (not nap myself, but close my eyes for a bit) and it was a short day at Smug-Sister's, so when I got home I spent a good two hours playing with Smug-Baby and nursing and noticed that a new tooth is coming in, which explains the rough night and the recent whining.

Then she got playing and watching Sesame Street and I spent about an hour straightening up the house, making wipes, folding laundry, hanging some pictures, washing diapers, made the bed, and got dinner cooking all before she really needed me.

Then she wanted to nap again, so I took her outside and let her play in the grass until it was time to really get dinner ready. I made this Orange Sesame Tempeh Stir-Fry from Peas and Thank You and it was amazing! Smug-Hub loved it! Smug-Baby not so much, but she was really happy with her banana!!

After dinner, they went and played and I cleaned up the kitchen and folded laundry. Then I did the bath time routine while Smug-Hub took out the trash and recycling and cleaned up where a raccoon had gotten into the stuff outside. By then it was after 9pm and Smug-Baby was showing no signs of slowing down, so I was able to empty the dishwasher and fold the last load of laundry.

They are playing right now, but I think that she is winding down. At least I pray that she is, because it is almost 11, which means that I have been awake for the last 22 1/2 hours and I am dying!!

Tomorrow, Smug-Sister has meetings all day, so I think that I will plan on bringing the girls to my house. Since everything is picked up right now, I will try to wash another load of laundry and tackle another cabinet or two in the kitchen while they play.

Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment