Friday, August 26, 2011

Sleep

Since the purchase of the new bed, I expected that I would be sleeping like a rock each and every night. That, sadly, has not happened. It appears to me that Smug-Baby is having a hard time adjusting to having so much room and thus thinks she is alone and wakes up.

This results in marathon nursing to get her back to sleep and me laying awake either because of an uncomfortable nursing position or because I am fully awake or worse yet, because I am fully awake and know that I have X minutes left to sleep and the pressure to fall back asleep as fast as possible is keeping me awake.

So, we have been tweaking our bedtime routine some. We put Smug-Baby in the exact middle and then we scoot in really close in an effort to make sure that she feels us there and can sleep without feeling as though we have abandoned her. We are bringing a water cup to bed, so that if she wakes and asks for "ice" we don't have to get up and turn on lights to get it for her. We are also going to bed mostly at the same time she does in the hopes that we will get some sleep before she wakes us.

In the last two weeks all those ideas have been put into place to varying degrees of success, as in, mostly without success! We generally are able to do some of the above but not all. Last night though, we did it! All the pieces were in place and I personally slept like a rock until the alarm went off at 3:54am (I have been going into work early to make up the time I missed being sick on Monday). I was finishing in the shower when I heard Smug-Baby start crying. I tried to finish getting ready for work and see if Smug-Hub was able to get her back to sleep, but she just ended up hysterical. By that time, even nursing wasn't going to make her go back to sleep so a banana was sliced and Elmo was turned on. Every time I leave her sight to gather something for work, she cries. She knows that I am leaving. I hate leaving.

She is laughing at Mr. Noodle's brother Mr. Noodle, so I am going to sneak out. Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment