Monday, February 6, 2012

Nesting, Part 1

I can feel this little nesting urge coming over me. I woke up early this morning, got out of bed, straightened up the house, made wipes and put away all the toys in Smug-Baby's room - All before getting in the shower. I would be cleaning the dishes right now, but I am nervous that the clanging will wake Smug-Baby up, so I am blogging instead! I have this almost overwhelming urge to throw things away and wipe things down and get the house really, really clean!

I have already made plans to go buy a bookcase today for all Smug-Baby's books. I can't stand one more day of all these wonderful books, falling over, getting stepped on or the pages getting bent. There is one at Wal-Mart for $15.00 and that is an investment I am willing to make!!

I was reading about Organizational Junkie's 29 day Challenge and I realized that I don't normally have much in the way of clutter and what clutter is generated I am generally able to tame on a daily basis. However, where I need help is with the deeper stuff. The "everything has a home" concept is foreign to my husband and he is constantly putting things away in odd places. He finds it perfectly acceptable that odd items suddenly take up residence on top of a cabinet rather than putting it back where he found it. For example, the rolling pin has lived in the drawer under the stove with the pan lids for years now (it lives there because it is too long for any other drawer and rolls around in cabinets. It fits perfectly in with the lids and doesn't interfere when you pull out a lid), for some reason, this weekend I see the rolling pin, hanging over the edge of one of the top cabinets. Just sitting there, collecting dust. It bothers me so much!! I spend time and energy working on organizing a room of the house and within a few days, he has things totally out of order and staged in odd places. I have even found odd food items, like say a cookie, sitting on the shelf of a cabinet. Not wrapped in anything, just hanging out, attracting mice and ants.

When I try to talk to him about putting things back where he found them, he says that he does. In reality, he doesn't pay enough attention to the details to even know where something belongs. I end up preferring to just take care of stuff myself, but this means that each day I would have to go through every drawer and cabinet in every room of the house to make sure that anything he has touched is returned to it's rightful place and frankly I would rather spend my day reading to Smug-Baby and taking her to the park.

My plan was to get the whole house organized by tackling one room each week and then keep that organization in place by cycling through each room again on a 3 month rotation (1 room each week, 12 rooms = 12 weeks). However, as soon as I finished the last room, the morning sickness hit full force and I haven't been able to keep up on the weekly rotation. Now that the morning sickness is mostly gone and only the sleep deprivation remains, I feel like I am ready to get back on track. But it is hard to see that all the hard work of just a few months ago has all been for nothing and that I am starting at square one again.

I am feeling more motivated about tackling it this week though. Like I said, maybe this is the first signs of nesting! I have a couple of months before Little-Smug makes his debut, so I should have plenty of time to get the house back in order and keep it up for a while. Once I'm not getting up at 4:30 in the morning for work and am able to sleep in a bit, the upkeep shouldn't be so hard.

Today I am going to tackle the laundry -  Man oh man is there a massive pile and it is going to take all day!! I am also going to do some cooking and make a plan for the week, picking this week's room is going to be easy though! I am going to start with the bedroom! It shouldn't be too hard to tackle and will ease me into this get-back-in-the-grove plan I've got!!

OK, I have got to get to work!! Wish me luck! This only works if I get enough sleep at night to justify not napping during the day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment