Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sickly Little One

Smug-Baby has been acting a little odd the last day or so and I wondered if maybe she was cutting a molar. I still don't know if she is or not, but last night she was really restless in her sleep and kept crying out or moaning. I pulled her into our bed really early, like 10:30 and noticed that she was really hot.

I didn't get up to get the thermometer but a mother knows when her baby is sporting a high fever so I held her close and gave her water whenever she woke up. She tossed and turned and rolled and moaned and cried; all mostly without really waking up. Her head was so hot I thought for sure I would have burns on my arms from holding her.

Since I didn't get much sleep and because I knew that if she was sick she wouldn't be happy with just daddy, I stayed home from work. As soon as I sent the e-mail to my boss and peed, I couldn't get back to sleep. My head was KILLING me! I think that it was a combination of stress/worry for Smug-Baby and general lack of sleep, but the end result was that I wasn't able to go back to sleep.

I got up and puttered around the house for a bit until she woke up and she immediately asked for "bites" so I got her some cereal and fed it to her in bed, holding her hot little body against mine. I could tell that the fever wasn't gone, but she wasn't nearly as hot as during the night. I pulled out the thermometer and she was at 99.9. Not too bad, but certainly enough to make her feel lousy.

She played with daddy and the bouncy ball for a little while, but that seemed to take all her energy and then she spent the next several hours just sitting in my arms watching Elmo. I took her into the shower with me and she pretty much just stood under the hot water and didn't play with her bath markers or anything. It broke my heart knowing just how yucky she felt.

After bath we did more sitting on the couch. She just wanted to be held and didn't even want me to read to her, just hold her. About 11, she asked for food and ate about 6 bites and was done. Within moments of being back on the couch she was asleep. I am just doing this quick post while I let myself get a little more sleepy and then I am going to join her. I hope she sleeps for hours and hours and wakes feeling much better.

My poor angel! I love her so much and can't stand it when she feels badly! On the other hand though, it is really nice to know that all she needs in the world to help comfort her when she feels sick is my arms around her and I am so grateful that I am able to provide those arms!!

Feel better my sweet little one!

No comments:

Post a Comment