Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Drum Roll Please...

We are going to potty train this weekend!! I am really nervous about it, but I think I just need to bite the bullet and do it. I really feel like Smug-Baby is ready as she hates being wet or dirty and at the same time really hates having the diaper changed.

I feel like maybe I'm not ready. I don't feel like I know what I'm doing and have been reading a few books and articles like a mad woman trying to feel more confident about the process. I still need to purchase her some real, big girl underpants and some kind of mattress protector for her big girl bed. I plan on still putting her in a diaper at night until she wakes up dry consistantly, but for naps she will be diaper free.

The plan is to take Friday off work and spend a full three days concentrating on drinking lots of juice and water and getting lots of practice on the potty. Smug-Grandma is coming over Friday evening to watch Smug-Baby while I have my yoga class and we have tentative plans for a trip to the park on Saturday afternoon, but we will have to see how the training goes. Daddy will take over the training some on Sunday as I do need to make a run to the 75% off day at the consignment sale, but other than those minor interruptions, we will be training full time.

The books say to have the TV and radio off and not to answer the phone. Your full attention needs to be on concentrated instruction; having her pull down her pants, sit on the potty, go, wipe, pull up her pants and empty the potty. You basically do this over and over and over, like every 15 minutes the first day and gradually get longer and longer intervals between when you prompt her to go to the potty. Once she goes to the potty unprompted for the first time, you can be fairly sure that she has gotten the concept and start spreading out the prompts even further, like before leaving the house, before meals, after meals, and so on, letting her remember to go when she needs to on her own.

That should all happen the first day or so and then the subsequent days are spent reinforcing the concepts. After that, you just have to make sure that your whole world revolves around where the various potty's are where ever you happen to be. I think that getting this done before Little-Smug comes along is going to be a good thing on many levels. It will further separate Smug-Baby as the big girl and Little-Smug as the baby. It will give me a chance to get all the diapers refreshed and stripped and ready for Little-Smug and it will be one less thing to tackle with an infant in arms.

So, I just need to put in that time off request and make a Wal-Mart run before Friday. I also have a potty princess DVD from the library so I think that I'll get Smug-Baby watching that daily until Friday too and talk it up a bit for her. Oh... and finish all these books so I actually know what to do on training day... YIKES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment