Monday, April 23, 2012

Baby Shower

This weekend was my baby shower and it was amazing and wonderful!!

The day started with a leisurely breakfast with my aunts. Smug-Hub cooked for everyone and I sat on my butt! Food was lovely and it was nice to spend some time chatting with my aunts who had come so far to attend my shower.

After we got home I needed to shower and Smug-Baby got in with me. Before I stepped in the shower I plugged in the curling iron. I placed it behind the sink with the cord way up so Smug-Baby wouldn't be able to reach it. I haven't curled my hair since before she was born, so I was worried about her getting burned. Smug-Hub pulled her out of the shower and as we were all drying off, he stood her up on the counter. I pointed out the curling iron to let him know that it was hot and to be careful.

He was putting lotion on her when she reached down, wrapped her fingers and hand around the hot end of the curling iron and picked it up! I grabbed for her and it about the same time she did and pulled it from her so she only had it about 2 seconds if that. I grabbed her and ran her hand under cold water, Smug-Hub ran to get ice and the aloe gel. I sat with her sobbing little self for a good 30 minutes while she cried and waved her hand around trying to cool the burn. I felt so guilty!! Smug-Hub was too. He blamed me for plugging it in at all and I blamed him for setting her on the counter where it was within reach. In truth we both were to blame and I know these things happen, but I feel sick about it!!

After she was calm and had fallen asleep I finished getting ready and had completely lost interest in trying to curl my hair! I was running late as it was so I just dressed and left. It was pouring rain and the drive seemed to take forever.

Once I arrived at the party, I tried to let go of my guilt and I had a great time! The food was amazing, a carrot, pineapple and raisin salad, egg salad sandwiches, cheese spread sandwich's, capri sandwiches with pesto and strawberries with chocolate. Everything was delicious!! After eating, a woman who does belly art started to decorate my belly and then each of the guests drew or wrote something on my belly. It was very cool!!


The end effect was really cool and I only wish that it had lasted longer. It washed off in my shower tonight. I am going to talk to her about doing a henna design closer to my due date that will last longer. I think it would totally freak out the hospital staff and that would make me laugh!!

After the belly painting we had cake. Cake that makes me drool to think about!! It was my sister's lemon coconut cake and it was beyond amazing and I have to get the recipe from her and make it every day!! There wasn't even crumbs left!!

Then came the gifts and everything was so thoughtful and wonderful! My little man has a ton of new adorable outfits along with handmade cloth wipes, some cloth diapering accessories, teething accessories, books, bibs, and a new baby carrier just to name a few! I wasn't sure I would be able to get everything home, but my brother-in-law used to work for a moving company and managed to get everything into the cab of the truck for the ride home.

My friend who came all the way from North Carolina came back to the house with me and I got to play with her little 9 week old baby girl and Smug-Baby really fell in love with her! She kept bringing my friend burp cloths and toys for the baby and pointed out all the baby's body parts. I hope that this is good sign that she will be happy to have her little brother around when he arrives.

I made a nice soup for dinner but that was the extent of my workload for the day, I kept my feet up a lot and let others do for me whenever possible. It was actually hard to remember not to do everything myself, but it paid off because I wasn't feeling much pain when I started getting ready for bed.

Now, I am blogging and Smug-Baby is watching Elmo in the arms of her daddy, getting sleepy. I think that I'll slip off to bed myself!! Happy Baby Shower day to me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment