Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Looking Back, Looking Forward

I don't generally spend a lot of time looking back at events in my life, good or bad. They happened, I learned something (hopefully) and moved on. Spending time regretting what happened in the past or wishing things had been different or that I had gone left instead of right, doesn't really change anything. Thinking about what might have been or trying to re-write the past also doesn't fix anything and just makes for an unhappy present.

All I can do with the past is try to learn from my mistakes, carry the good memories and think before I make a similar mistake in the present.

Looking to the future also really has little value. Yes, one must think about where you are going and how you want to get there, but thinking too much about getting someplace else, results in missing the right here and right now.

The future is important, I have to think about the meals for the whole week when shopping and not just what I feel like eating at this very moment, but taking the time to enjoy and savor the food that is currently in my mouth also has a great deal of importance.

Smug-Baby is currently in her last months as an only child. Her whole world is going to change and while I am excited for all the changes our family will see in the future, I want to hold on to her as she is RIGHT. THIS. MOMENT.

I want to savor the times she pulls my face to hers with both hands to kiss me. I want to watch her climb on something new for the first time. I want to spend my here and now taking it all in and recording all the memories of her as she is right now. I want to hold her and kiss her and read to her and play with her.

I look forward to the changes that Little-Smug will bring into our family and I don't look back and wish that I had done things differently with Smug-Baby, because she is right here, right now and I want all my energy to be put into loving her so much and so hard and so deep that she never looks back and feels like I wasn't full of love for her at all times.

I send out this challenge to you, take a moment today and just be. Don't think about what's left on the "to do" list, don't think about how you should have gotten gas while you were out this morning. Instead, sit quietly and look around at your family. Observe what they are all doing right now, think about how wonderful they are and how much you love them. Then get up and go join them in whatever they may be up to. Spend a few minutes (or a few hours!!) just being in the moment with your loved ones, loving them and being close.

Yesterday is over, tomorrow will be here soon enough, today is right now. Enjoy it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment