Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Small Advances

I have been taking Smug-Baby to story time weekly for a few weeks now and we have also been to three weeks of Melody Makers (which is wonderful music program for small children).

I wanted to get her involved in more activities with other children because I feel like she is bored with just me to play with all day, she LOVES other kids, and I want her to start being more socialized; learning to share and so on before Little-Smug arrives.

The first week at story time, she simply wanted to leave. The whole time we were there, she kept asking to go home. The second week, she sat in my lap and watched what was going on around her, but didn't participate. Today, she still sat in my lap most of the time, but she shook her "shaky egg" with everyone else and clapped when the songs were over and even moved off my lap to sit on the floor in front of me.

When we got to Melody Makers (normally Melody Makers is on Monday, but we had a conflict, so we did both story time and Melody Makers today), she also was more engaged and jumped around the room and did just a bit of following the teacher's instructions. I am very encouraged by how quickly she is starting to warm up to these programs! When we talk about seeing Gigi and Bach, she giggles and jumps up and down. When I sing the story time song, she claps along with me. I really feel like she is enjoying these activities and while she hasn't totally gotten the hang of doing what the teacher does and the other kids and she still wants to hold my hand most of the time, I feel like we are heading in the right direction with her!

Here is a video of her at Melody Makers yesterday:


Now, if she would just sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment